Wednesday, December 10, 2008

BB and CC

We are doing four posts tonight to catch up (too much fun and activity!) So, go down and read up for it to make the best sense.

Ok, so there have been some, shall we say, food issues. First of all, going back to the night of the flaming Sambucca. I forgot to mention that Carl spilled his Sambucca and we had not only flaming Sambucca, but flaming table cloth....before that however when we were ordering our entrees they had a lovely, large salad on the menu. I was craving a salad. I love salads. I have been eating meat every day, every meal since we got here. Now, don't get me wrong, I love meat. I am a carnivore. But, for those of you that know me well, you know I love salads and eat at least 5-6 per week!!! I have been here (including the plane trip) 6 days and no salad.

So, as I said, they had a lovely salad at La Playa and as Carl and I were discussing what we thought we would order (we usually share) I mentioned that I thought I was going to get a salad. You would have thought I said I was going to get injected with Typhoid. I swear. The look on his face was frightening and he then proceeded to tell me that this is the worst possible place for me to order a salad. It would be very dangerous (clearly more dangerous than the imaginary man that was going to steal my purse off my chair) and that they fertilize their crops with cow manure and it isn't clean and will make me incredibly sick . He is saying this with the most pained look on his face AND using his hands! I told him "you are scaring me", he said "I am trying to scare you", not only that, but now I am thoroughly disgusted and couldn't possibly eat a salad now anyway.

We had Beef. Again.

Second food adventure:

When we stopped at La Leona for Empanadas (see previous post) they had the two options under a glass case. I asked "que es?" (what is), Beef and Espinacas (?!?!?) I asked what is Espinacas, he didn't really understand I was asking, so, as we always do, I asked again and he said "Penis" and I looked at him and said "Penis?", "Si, Penis". Now, understand we have seen testicles and intestines on nearly every menu we have seen so I quickly said "No, no, quatro beef por favor". So, later in the car I was telling Carl why I only ordered beef. First they had no chicken and the only other choice was Penis.

I then told Natalia about the conversation and that he said Penis, and I couldn't believe they were serving penis empanadas. She asked about the word he used and I tried to repeat it and then I said what I thought he said and then Natalia said, "Spinache" or what he said, was "spines" with a very soft "S".....so, they were spinach empanadas, not penis. Yea, a good laugh on that one.....

Third food story:

When we were at Estancia Hermosa and touring the greenhouse, they had lovely wild strawberries growing and Martiniano said "shhh, but we can eat one...." so I lean down and pick a luscious looking strawberry, but the whole time I am hearing Carl in my mind talking about them fertilizing with manure and I notice he is not picking a strawberry. I am absolutely sure he must be appalled and thinks I will be doubled over with cramps at any moment. The strawberry was wonderful and I am fine....

Last story:

On our very long, and very hot trek today, I had brought full water bottles for both of us and two extra bottles of water. But it was really hot and really steep. So I realize why our guide only brought one bottle of water. Because he fills it up in the Alfredo Rio (Alfred River) which is glacier runoff. Clear. Clean. Cold. Beautiful Water. After I had gone through all the water in my bottle (which is at least two water bottles full) I decided I would chance it and fill it in the river. I saw Carl looking at me, again knowing that he is probably thinking..."this is very risky", but that's Bev. Oh, that water was so good, so cold, so delicious. And, I feel fine.

So, here my friends is the decipher of the title of this Post: Brazen Bev and Cautious Carl - a match made in heaven.....

;-)


Ciao!

5 comments:

g_love said...

I want some REAL glacier water! Sounds refreshing!
Didn't know Carl was so scary!! ;)

Looks like you guys are having a great time!

Carl and Bev said...

Oh yea, glacier water is the best! especially with a little vodka and tonic ;-)

I'm done worrying about what to eat or drink for sure! It's all salad tonight!

Thanks for tracking us and leaving comments!

Luv Auntie Bev and Uncle Carl

Kathi said...

What beautiful, beautiful pictures! I can tell you guy s are having a great time. Glad you stayed away from those "penis empanadas"! LOL!
Oh god, the word verification I have to type in is...wait for it..
comPENIZ lol

Carl and Bev said...

That is hilarious!!!! Yes, having a wonderful time. We are getting ready to update posts again tonight after Carl finishes the pics.

Shout out Happy Birthday to Gillian!!!

g_love said...

Thank you. While you are down there enjoying a southern hemisphere summer, we are up here in a blizzard!!